Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Beautiful Shepherds Bush Empire

Last night we went to see the Beautiful South at the SBE. They were fantastic – far far better than I anticipated.

The songs were excellent, the crowd were groovy, the 2 encores were splendidly accompanied by 5 gigantic balloons that were batted into the crowd. Not an entirely thought through gimmick, as they all pretty much ended up smacking the band on the face and nearly knocking the drumkit over!

Apres gig, A and I went to O’Niells and had a drinky-poo. Ethical question coming up-

We were going to play the quizzer, but noticed that the money slot had been sellotaped over. A further noticed that there was £2 in credit already available and began to play Hex (all time best quizzer game – stick your Hangman). I ummed and ahhhed for abouot 30 seconds then joined in. We didn’t win anything, but had we – would it have been ethical to take the money? Would you have played the machine in the first place? Are we going to pub etiquette hell?

Then we walked home. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from SBE to where we live, but when we left the house it was sunny and a little warm: a lovely summers evening. By the time we got to the walking it was midnight. Not warm, not sunny: night time. We didn’t have a jacket (or a braincell it would seem) between us. Cold, tired but very very happy I eventually retired to bed.

Today I had an interview for a job I wasn’t overly interested in. Until the interview. It sounds so varied, and interesting and so much like I could do it. I know that this is the job that I could be doing for the rest of my working days and that I have to come to terms with the fact that it’s not writing, or acting, or knitting or reading. It’s time to grow up. At 25 I think I’ve rode my childhood pretty ragged.

I shall put away childish things and be a man, my son.

But I’m keeping my comics.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I think it's perfectly acceptable to have played the machine with the credit on it - if it wasn't you it was going to be someone else - fret not - there is no kind of hell waiting for you !

Good luck with the job I hope you get it if you decide you really do want it.

Anonymous said...

Hey was just rolling thru wanted to let ya know ya got a cool blog here Nice Job.