Wednesday, September 06, 2006

TWOP UK

I’ve been spending a lot of time reading the Television Without Pity site, specifically Project Runway and Top Chef recaps. I really enjoy the snark, and also the person who recaps Top Chef clearly knows her spuds. I wish there were a UK version that recapped shows I watch – like … ummm… Daziel and Pascoe! Or … Call Me A Cabbie! Imagine the snarking possibilities. I personally would revel in the chance to cover X-Factor and/or How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria.

I’ve asked if they’re planning on opening a UK site, but so far had no reply. I imagine that running a behemoth site like TWoP leaves you with little time for thoughts of expansion. Perhaps I’ll just add tiny crunt-filled recaps at the end of my blog. Hmmm… Roll on Saturday.

---

My sister is really suffering. One of her very close friends died recently and she’s not coping very well with the grief. I don’t know what I can do to help. For one thing, I’m very far away and for another – I’m terrible around grief, I just can’t help at all and end up making really lame jokes and sounding like a … well a very rude word. And I just want to help her through it, she’s had a really tough couple of years.

I don’t know what to do.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I am so sorry to hear that your sister recently lost a friend. That has got to be just so tough to deal with. I would say the best thing to do to help someone deal with grief is to let them know that you are there for them and let them cry around you. It is so tough having to be strong all the time so as not to embarass anyone - it is so important to have someone to whom you can just rant and say how unfair the world is and burst into uncontrolable sobs without feeling judged or that you have to "buck up". Just be there for her through whatever medium you can - phone - e:mail whatever, or make a special visit to her to show her how much you care and how much you want to help. You can do no more than that.

I hope she starts to come out the other side of the grief soon, but it's a process that can no way be rushed. Let her have time to deal with it in whatever way she needs to.

Mouldydc said...

Becky, thank you for your good advice. I've been on the phone with her often and i'm trying to just support her in any way i can. She's begun to sound slightly brighter so my worries are easing. SHe's a remarkably strong woman and finds it difficult to show "weakness". She's my best and oldest friend and I feel wretched that I can't "fix" her. But thanks again for your kind words. x

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's loss. It's difficult when you are so far away, but perhaps you can talk on the phone or IM/e-mail if you can't get to see her in person. I know that you say you find it difficult dealing with grief, but the most useful thing you can do is just listen and let her know that you're there for her and care. You don't have to find the right thing to say, just let her talk if she needs to.
I hope things get better for her soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.